refirring an a/c pump, Bora TDI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the idea of the tight fit ?
Damn hard to get pushed back into place.

If I pulled the rear bushes out and put them in with the flanges on the outside, the bolts would pull them in for a tight fit surely ?

b6pvyr.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
In theory yes, but the flange will give a bit more support and cushion to the bracketry on the block.
Is that the original compressor, or a replacement?
John :)

Its a picture of a bora ac pump of ebay but the same setup as mine.

The pump had to be levered out so its obviously going to be damn hard to push back into position.

Why has VW designed it like this ?

Obviously tightening the outboard bolt with the sliding bush closes up any clearance that there might have been and naturally when it's in place it doesn't move.
Dead easy to fit these when the engine is on the bench but a right PITA doing it on your back on the cold concrete.

Sponsored Links
Well if the two pushes are a slide fit in the pump bracket holes, I'm going to file a fraction of a mm of the bush flange face to give a bit slack and the bolts can pull the pushes further through to make up the gap.

Only had to take take the ac pump of because the tension pulley and alternator shaft bearings have failed, both at the same time! ...... hence to be replaced from scrappy stock.

Does the compressor have to come off to replace the tensioner? I can't remember having to do that but it wasn't on a Bora anyway.

AC pump comes off to get the alternator off and the tension pulley, which is knacked anyway, has to come off to get to the alternator bolts.

Yes thanks, my Rover is doing a splendid job. Passed its mot earlier this week.

Bora is all sorted!

Got an alternator and tension pulley assembly for £40.

For anyone interested, the ac pump, although has to be levered of the car, the bushes push back a bit in the bracket to allow it to slide back in easily when refitting. I used vice grips to nip the back of the pump bracket and the bush flange. When the bolts are tightened, they pull the bushes back in for a tight fit.

The alternator bushes can be tapped out a bit by putting the rear of alternator on a deep socket on the deck, the deep socket big enough to slide over the bush. Then putting another but smaller socket on the upper face of the bush and dropping a punch in through the front hole into that socket, a tap with a hammer on the punch, the bush is moved out a bit. Again, the bushes move in when the bolts are tightened.

Getting the alternator out/in is the hard part, damn fiddly!

Sponsored Links
Back