Reformating my desktop PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to reformat my PC but i havent done it for a few years now , I need someone to refresh my memory please.

1. How do i make a back up disc ( floppy disc ) ?
2. How do i get to the DOS menu ?
3. What do i type ? is it something like c;reformat ?
4. once that all done how do i install the floppy disk ?
5. How do reinstall windowns ? What do i type ie .. setup , install ?

i used to know but just want to be sure before i start .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have the MS Windows CD? What version of Windows are you using/intending to install?

Sponsored Links
If you have a relatively new pc then it should boot from the cd without a dos startup disk. I cant remember exactly but once the CD boots it should give you the choice of a clean installation (and format the drive for you).

You could always try rebooting with the CD in the drive and see what happens, if the Windows CD boots ok then you shouldn't have a problem. If it doesnt boot from the CD, then you'll need to look in the bios for boot order, and change it so that it tries the CD drive before the hard disk.

If it doesnt support booting from a CD (which I think only applies to old computers) then you'll need to go down the floppy disk route.

What do you want to backup? A floppy won't hold much.

The whole format/installation thing is done from the XP disk. Boot from the disk and you will then be able to remove all your data partitions and create fresh ones. It's fairly easy, just read all the prompts and screen information.

Back up your data
Back up your data
Back up your data
Back up your data
Back up your data
Back up your data
Back up your data
Back up your data
Back up your data
Back up your data

You will need either a CD writer, or a lorryload of floppies.

get other pc to format hard drive.

I have found that xp will want to install itself on spare part of hd, it doesnt want to format it, unless it sees another os

easiest way, take hard drive out, put it in another pc (you may have to change jumper setting to slave)

breezer said:
get other pc to format hard drive.

I have found that xp will want to install itself on spare part of hd, it doesnt want to format it, unless it sees another os

What? If that were true, how would you ever install XP on a new machine? The installer allows you to create new partitions and delete old ones, just fine.

breezer said:
easiest way, take hard drive out, put it in another pc (you may have to change jumper setting to slave)

Certainly not the easiest way.

You forget igroian, you can fix a pc while in your sleep, us diyers cant.

I regret to say what i said IS true, I say this because it happend to me.
xp was quite happily installing itself and at boot up, it asked which o/s did i want, i did it again, this time watching what it did, it did as i said installed itself on an empty piece of hd. although i should point out the hd in question was already partitioned, so it opted to install and format the 2nd half of the hd.
I gave up took the hd out and formated it, then asked on here how to make partions (to which i got great help)

If its a totaly blank hd then yes it will format it and partion it (done that too)

also for people like me, taking the hd out and sticking it in another pc to format it is easy.

I have trouble going into DOS (with win xp, win 98 was easy), and i will stick with my way thanks, as the last time i did partition it via DOS i lost half the drive (don't ask)

Sponsored Links
Back