Regulations covering gas installations

I was going to say something, then it occurred the OP has made up his min anyway.

Pointless OP an thread

Sponsored Links
What is the competence defined? Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, edition 4:

84 Competence is a combination of practical skill, training, knowledge and experience to carry out the job in hand safely, and ensuring the installation is left in a safe condition for use. Knowledge must be kept up-to-date with changes in the law, technology and safe working practice.

In practical only three groups of people are allowed to work on gas without being Gas Safe registered:

1. Gas apprentices and trainees.

2. Gas company employees recognised by their employers as being competent.

3. Electricians to wire controls on gas systems.

From the little that he has written I would expect that he is not competent to carry out gas work safely!

Tony

A wrong assumption. The question is limited to the basic fact that I require clarification on.

Under accepted definitions covering other regulations where the term is used I AM a competent person. I hold pertinent qualifications far in excess of the specific requirement of safe working with combustible gases and get a little annoyed being told "how to suck eggs" when somebody assumes that I could not possibly know what they do just because I don't have the relevant piece of paper.

I hope your aircraft engineering is better than your understanding of English. Although you need to be able to understand English ( or US English ) to understand aircraft manuals.

I said that "I expect" which is an expectation and not an assumption.

Whilst you asked a limited question I commented on the fact that what you have said already implies that you are going to do something unsafe!

I also post under my real name!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It is a regrettable fact that many trades have a small number of supposedly qualified persons which bring the particular profession into disrepute. For example today I have been trying to unpick the wiring scheme the NICEIC certificated electrician adopted when installing my central heating system. Although to be fair it does work he had decided to ignore the standard S plan layout and work to his own entirely arbitrary scheme which makes it more difficult to fault find or modify.
Difficult for you perhaps - not difficult for those who actually know what they are doing and are competent to work on such things.

The fact it didn't exactly match some arbitrary diagram or installation manual does not mean there is anything wrong with it. Neither does that bring any profession or trade into disrepute.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back