Reinforcing Block and Beam Floor for extra Brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a client who wants to build a faux inglenook feature in their kitchen. The floor it is to be built off is block and beam (bison beam) and so would need reinforcing somehow. Anybody come across this before? I havent in my 10+ years in the building trade and so am a little stuck in how best to proceed!

The two options I cant think off is threading a steel across on the load point underneath the beams to support them, the other is to dig down and insert extra footings. Both have fairly big disadvantages (digging down requires getting under the floor, something which is easier said than done, inserting the steel would mean threading a hefty lump of metal the entire width of the building, and this is presuming the beams run perpendicular to it, which Im assuming they wouldnt - they would be side to side, shortest span).

Has anybody come across this before? If yes how did you get around it, and if no have you got any bright ideas that arent the two above?!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this being built out from the wall, and is it to be used or just for show.

Completely for show, its for a range to fit inside, with just an extractor pipe running up it. It will have an 'inner' studwork former, ply'ed out with brick ties attached to bind together. Its being built out from the gable wall roughly the width of the worktop (ie 600mm) and up to ceiling height.

What about a frame, clad in cement board and then covered in brick slips and pointed? You won't know the difference.

But I've built big fireplaces off b&b floors without any thought (or problem) :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I cant do the brick slip idea, the customer is very particular about things and he will definitely not go for this!!

I also agree that the floor would more than cope with the loading, but im one of those people who always imagines the worst case scenario and in a small town where I live I think a collapse could possible end my career!!

The customer won't know the difference with bricks cut down to slips and pointed.

You'll be alright with a couple of piers and the oak beam on that floor though

Partition walls are built off B and B floors, and years ago brick partition walls were built off the upstairs flooring.

it will be approximately 2.5m wide x 600deep x 4m high, so quite alot of masonry... i just REALLY dont want to liable for anything untoward that may happen....

This was a possibility I was thinking of.... Its into a garage next door so I was thinking some sort of low level cantilevered steel support the other side bolted down to the floor and resting on the 2skin gable wall. Seems a little bit heath robinson but im sure it would alleviate my fears and would support the already strong enough bison beam floor?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back