Remote control for TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like to keep my TV sound volume reasonably low, but a change of speaker or scene can make it leap up too high. Sometimes, a speaker talks too quietly, so I raise the volume. When another speaker starts to talk, the volume of his/her voice may be far too high for comfort on the same setting, and so on. For a long time, the remote control handset for my television has been difficult to use. All of the other buttons are easy to use, but, because, frequently, I find it necessary to change the sound volume, the button seems to have worn out, and, for it to work at all requires very hard pressure.

About two years ago, I bought a compatible handset off the Web, but this, too, became hard to press to alter the sound, and within a very short time-span.

Next, I bought a "One For All" (that's the name of the brand) universal handset. It was in a bubble pack, so I could not examine it. After putting batteries in, when I came to close the sliding hatch, it would not close properly (not even when I took the batteries out), so back it went to the store, for a refund.

On the Web, there are several makes of universal handset, but I don't feel like risking buying a bad one. So here, I am asking whether anyone has bought a universal handset that a) does what it claims to do (the last one did not do everything it was claimed to do), and b) most importantly, is well made as regards the quality of the sliding hatch (does it go ker-chunk, and fit back properly and easily?)

I should be grateful for any reports from those that have been happy with what they bought, and I thank you for reading this in the first place, also in hopeful anticipation of a helpful reply.
A.W.

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry; this is not really of any use to you, but I had to mention it.

It annoys me greatly that, whilst picture quality is far better now than in the past, the people responsible for sound seem to have lost any skill they once had. The trend nowadays is for 'background' sound/music to be louder than dialogue - I don't know why. Sometimes, I find it difficult to make out what people are saying.
Another problem is that there seems to be no standardisation of sound level between channels or even programmes within one channel.

I seem to remember in years gone by, sound technicians must have had more pride in their productions.

Sorry for the rant!

I think much depends on budget.

I have a One-For-All here for making certain DVD players region free. The battery compartment has never given any problems. I have owned and/or used decent quality universals from a range of manufacturers; mostly Philips, URC, One For All and Logitech. Most of them cost £20~£40. All were pretty well made.

As for remotes "not doing what they claim to do", the only real issues I've encountered are when customers buy without researching first if the remote will control all their devices, or they fail to read the programming instructions. I don't know if that applies to you because you didn't give any detail with the comment. There's also folk getting a bit miffed if their exact model isn't listed in the book. That's understandable, however most good remotes have some method of searching the codes for an equivalent that will work. It's worth having a look on the main manufacturer's sites for a code finder.

Although universal remotes allow you to change channel, alter volume etc they rarely do some of the more nitty gritty such as tuning, teletext etc. I have been given a number of Freeview boxes without remotes and I've not found a universal remote capable of setting them up.

Better if you can get the right remote for the TV.

Sponsored Links
This company supplies remotes that have exactly the same functions as the original. *
http://www.wallis-universal.co.uk

If they don't stock the one for your model, they'll ask you to post your remote and they'll copy it.

* The remote appearance will be different and button locations will be different but the functions will all be there.

(Disclaimer: the only connection I have is as a satisfied customer.)

It annoys me greatly that, whilst picture quality is far better now than in the past, the people responsible for sound seem to have lost any skill they once had. The trend nowadays is for 'background' sound/music to be louder than dialogue - I don't know why. Sometimes, I find it difficult to make out what people are saying.
Another problem is that there seems to be no standardisation of sound level between channels or even programmes within one channel.

I seem to remember in years gone by, sound technicians must have had more pride in their productions.

Sorry for the rant!

Many of those problems you're experiencing stem from the fact that there is little space in modern flat panels for anything approaching a decent speaker. If you invest in a sound bar, then things improve dramatically. Doesn't sort out the differing volume levels on different channels.

Deleted. Sorry, I tried to respond to the last post but something went wrong!

Sorry for the rant!

Many of those problems you're experiencing stem from the fact that there is little space in modern flat panels for anything approaching a decent speaker. If you invest in a sound bar, then things improve dramatically. Doesn't sort out the differing volume levels on different channels.

Thanks for the advice, but I already have a Sony 4 speaker + sub woofer system attached to my TV. Although it will permit lots of different sound setups with regard to frequency and volume, etc, but I don't think it will standardise sound output levels if the input levels change.

If it could do this I'd also find it very useful for when adverts come on: although the broadcasting companies deny it profusely, I KNOW that the volume of adverts (and announcements) is always higher than the programmes they surround!

I've long held the suspicion that surround sound is to blame for quiet dialogue on TV, with the voice being focused on the Centre channel more than the Left/Right Front channels, and when the mix is then played back over a stock 2 channel L/R TV speakers, the centre gets lost and thus dialogue is too quiet.
My surround sound kit is still in boxes from when I moved house so I haven't been able to put it to the test!

If it could do this I'd also find it very useful for when adverts come on: although the broadcasting companies deny it profusely, I KNOW that the volume of adverts (and announcements) is always higher than the programmes they surround!
To continue my Centre Channel theory :
I think they make Advert sound levels as loud as the theme music of the show but pushed out of the L&R channels as normal with no surround sound messing. Hence you turn the TV up to hear the dialogue, and get Go Compare!! at 135 decibels when the adverts come on.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Is the volume spike evident through both your surround systems AND TV speakers?

It might well be as Ricardus has indicated.

If you have the option to set the sound stage on your TV to stereo try that.

I had the exact same problem for years on my main TV until I got a sound bar and hooked it up with optical. But then I knew that was the issue with the audio coming from my Sky box anyways and had it set to stereo output rather than dolby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back