Removal of plaster lip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've removed some old skirting which has left a void, this has been filled with plasterboard and patched with bonding coat plaster. I now want to have the wall re-skimmed prior to adding the new skirting (which will be at a lower height). A problem is that the walls have been previously re-skimmed whilst the old skirting was in position, this has caused a lip which I want to remove so the walls will be flush.

Do you have any tips as how to use this lip? I'm afraid a hammer and chisel will crack and damage the wall too much, I was thinking a plane rather than sander....?

I've quite a long run of this so the easier the better, the lip is ~15mm in places and cannot be skimmed over.

I've tried to demonstrate in the pictures below:

any info welcome - cheers!

Sponsored Links
A hammer and a bolster, even a scutch hammer, all used carefully by someone who knows what they're doing, will work perfectly.
A planer or a sander will be a waste of time, and i would say, not be effective at all. To remove/feather away that "lip", you will need to chip away the plaster a good few inches up the wall/along the affected length of the wall, to get to the same plane, checking it out with a small  straight edge as you go. I'd let your plasterer do it. He'll know what he's looking for and will sort any problems along the way.
I also "would not" have bothered using a strip of plasterboard along the bottom of the wall, i'd have filled it all in with bonding coat, thus eliminating a joint between the plasterboard strip and the new plaster. Also, remember "not" to plaster right down to floor level, I always leave a 20mm/30mm gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back