Removal of sludge from boiler without full system flush

Sponsored Links
It is a very common problem for Vaillants to collect 'sludge' in the HE coils at the bottom.

Usually this shows itself in a horrible droning noise when the boiler is run on full power.

You can isloate the boiler from the heating system via the valves under it, then attach a 6mm rubber pipe as a drain on one of the drain offs, pressurise the boiler and back flush just the HE, into a bowl.

It will be best to run the boiler whilst doing this and to also run a hot tap, so the plate HE gets flushed as well,

The plate HE, otherwise, will just act as a store for more sludge to return later.

I agree that fitting a magnaclean is a very good idea, as is Mickyg's statement about a proper flush of the system.

The above, however is a way to acheive the limited cleaning you asked about.

I have carried this out several times now, sometimes adding X200 after the HE has been cleaned.

Thanks,

You mention for a certain process "attaching a 6 mm rubber pipe into one of the drain offs" but the only drain off I know is is under the floorboards in the hallway downstairs. The boiler is sited upstairs in the bathroom. I appear to get an impression that there could be some more drain offs on or near the boiler which I could use. Would you please explain.

There are 2 drains built into the ch isolating valves that the 6mm rubber (manometer tubing) will fit over.

You then need a 7mm spanner to open them on the square 'nut'.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back