Removal of Strip lighting and replace with rose fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening and thank you for accepting me into the I don't want to get electrocuted so please help me fold.

I have recently moved into a rented property and have permission to remove the old dated tube florencent lighting in the kitchen and wish to put a more modern rose type fitting in its place , I have removed the tube and noticed 3 wires going into it as well as block on connected reds what should I remove so I can connect the Black and brown wires of my new fitting thank you in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 240
Sponsored Links
Does the new rose type fitting have a set of terminals marked 'loop', and does it need earthed? It's a bit odd if it has black and brown wires.

Actually it might be best if you just show a picture of it before we advise.

It is critical what black wires and where there currently connected, i would get a pen and number each now before you touch anything, you can write on the grey sheath if needbe.
two of the blacks are together and the 3rd black is on its own

Then again it looks like twin red cable may have been used, so maybe only 2 black wires

Sponsored Links
Firstly thank you all for your responses the item it is to be replaced with is this.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 213
I expect that the light (in your picture) has only three connections to it Live, Neutral and earth

If you look, the existing strip light will also have only three connections to the light itself Live, neutral and earth.

Effectively, all you have to do is to move the LN and E connections form one light to the other. You may need to shorten or re-arrange some of the cables but it is no more complicated than that.

Please be sure to turn the power off (and confirm it is off) before doing any work on electrical stuff.

Great thanks is there any ideas on which cables I should rearrange and also does the new fitting simply connect in the block containing the red cables .

Thank you

By "rearrange" I really meant that, obviously, the light will go where the cables come out of the ceiling?
So you'll have a foot of cable to decide what to do with. It all depends on your situation on how you do that. You'll obviously need to house the live loop connection (the separate terminal with the three reds) somewhere. Usually inside the light housing, but it MAY depend on how much space you have to play with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back