Removal of walls - kitchen - fire concern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.png
Hi,

I'm wishing to remove two partition walls and merge the kitchen and lounge to one room. Before info this a friend suggested I check fire regs as it might not be a good idea to do so.

From what I have read I think it's ok if I can provide a means of exscape from the floor above such as a retractable ladder (rope ladder). Please see photo attached.

Can someone advise please?

Many Thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
A retractable ladder such as a rope ladder is NOT acceptable as a means of escape under Building Regulations.

I think you can merge the kitchen and lounge, but you MUST maintain a protected staircase leading to the outisde up to the bedrooms. Please clarify that by 1st and 2nd floor you do mean 1st floor (ie a floor above ground level) as Building Regs are different for houses of more than 2 storeys.

You can't do that without some serious extra work, e.g. installing a sprinkler system.
Where in the UK are you? Some of the rules are different in England than Scotland.

Hi,

Ah I see. I'm in England. The flat is indeed on the first floor (stairs lead immediately from the ground to the first floor).

Thanks,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Assume a sprinkler system would need to be on the 1st floor only (kitchen area)?

Thanks
Matt

Take a look at mist systems too - but you MUST get the agreement of your AI/BCO BEFORE installing.

Building Control might demand the building to be fully sprinklered, including the ground floor premises, and also a full automatic fire alarm again including the ground floor premises. Part of this is down to regulations changing, and part down to demanding more than regulations actually require. Your freeholder may also have requirements he wants you to comply with (and for which he will charge you).
You may find yourself opening a can of worms with this project ...
Best thing is to speak to Building Control at your local council before going any further.

Sprinkler systems require a minimum water flow rate and often the supply to a domestic property is inadequate. Some research will be required for this project

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back