Remove broken mortise lock without key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new to the forum so would be very grateful if somebody could assist.

I just moved into a new apartment, it was a bank repo so came 'as seen' and I was not supplied with the full set of keys etc. We have a storage room in the communal car park but on inspection I noted the handle had been snapped off and will need replacing. We were not supplied a key to the lock mechanism and I notice that there appears to be a broken key in the lock.

The lock appears to be a double lever mortice which can be locked/unlocked from both sides. It is currently open and unlocked.

I removed the external screws and got the handles off both sides. I removed the 2 small internal screws above and below key hole and also the 2 bolts screwed into the lock from the edge of the door.

I think the lock mechanism should be able to then slide out from the edge of the door, but the lock piece is too wide and sticks out from both sides of the door and I can see no further screws or any way to remove the lock or push it through.

Any ideas? I attached some pics, sorry about the quality.

Sponsored Links
You need to remove the barrel too :D

Sorry, if you meant the barrel when you said 'lock piece' then you need to remove the retaining screw, should be situated just below the latch but it looks like you've removed it, you also need the key but as you don't have it you'll need to snap the barrel in half, big pair of mole grips on the flat part of the barrel and a quick sharp yank side to side and hey presto, you'll need a replacement too

Yes thats what I'm trying to do, remove the lock barrel, but it doesn't come out. My question was, how do I get it out? hammer? screwdriver?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but he is using a professional locksmiths tool in the video. Can this be done without?

I've already been quoted 160 Euros for a locksmith to come and do it, but I'd prefer not to have to pay that

He using a snapper, i have one also but if you don't have one you can use a big pair of mole grips OR even a large adjustable spanner, with either of those clamp the grips or slide the spanner on the flat part of the lock, 2 good yanks sideways and it'll snap.

To measure for a replacement put the 2 halves together and measure from each end inwards to the screw hole, i'll assume the mortice lock is in the centre of the door so both halves will measure the same, i'll take a stab at 35/35 or 40/40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back