remove chimney stack at rafter level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
we are about to have a loft conversion and have asked the loft company to remove the chimney breast in the existing back bedroom as well. they will put an additional steel in the loft to support the chimney breast at loft floor level, then remove the chimney breast in the room below.
I was told by another loft company that we could support the chimney breast at rafter level instead, and remove the chimney breast in the loft space as well thus creating a bit more space.
Has anybody had experience of this, and is it advisable? I would've though it would need a strong rafter to support the chimney stack above it. It backs on to next door's chimney so we have to be very careful not to disturb their chimney even though neither of us have used a real fire in years.
Also the party wall surveyor said we should let next door know when we are about to remove the chimney breast, so they can have their fire place taped up. Is this to stop any dust or debris falling down their flue and causing a mess in their house? The houses are 80 years old so I'm guessing the flues could be a bit worn out.
many thanks in advance for any advice
s

Sponsored Links
It may be possible to support the chimney on gallows brackets, speak to the Se and BC to see what they say. Some aren't too happy in case your neighbour wants to do the same and then the remaining party wall may not be strong enough.
Yes debris from their flues will probably fall down as you are banging about on the wall on your side

thanks for reply chappers. the loft company we are using say its not possible to remove chimney at roof level, so we will just go for a beam at loft floor level. I guess they would rather go for the simpler option, which is probably cheaper so we are fine with that. Thanks for the advice regarding debris falling down flue. I will definitely pop next door with some decorators tape and plastic sheeting. The builders don't seem to give a hoot about this type of thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back