Remove patio slabs and concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought a house with patio slabs that are laid on concreted right up to the wall of the property bridging the damp course. I need to remove the slabs and concrete using an angle grinder to create a French drain (so I have been told).

Can anyone tell me what size angle grinder would be sufficient? Are there any potential pitfalls I need to be aware of?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to DIY but having recently purchased a house and the time has come to learn.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stuart

Sponsored Links
All must depend on the thickness of your slabs and concrete....personally I'd consider hiring a petrol stone cutting saw, with trolley and water attachment for minimising dust.
It is an excellent idea to remove all material to a good distance below DPC however.
John :)

I agree with Burnerman. Angle grinders and petrol cutting saws do the same thing, but you get a bigger blade with the petrol ones, thus allowing you to cut deeper, and faster. You can get different blades too, a standard stone cutting disc will take much longer to cut than a diamond tipped one will. You can hire stone saws complete with blades fairly cheaply by the day, and usually with the diamond tipped blades you pay per millimetre of blade used.

If you're unsure, here's a link to a petrol saw...
http://www.thesawcentre.co.uk/garde...y-ts410&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads#1246

And to an angle grinder...
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d28490-gb-230mm-angle-grinder-240v/81389

Sponsored Links
Definatley use a petrol cut off saw. They have a clutch so that if the blade should jam it will stop rotating whereas a grinder will just grab and try to pull itself out of your hand. At worst it could sprain your wrist or the inertia could make you swing the blade towards your leg or foot.

Check for services first. You'd be very unlucky to hit water electric or drainage but quite possible to hit ntl cables or any kind of supplies of water or electric to outbuildings so try and work out if any of those might cross your path first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back