remove plasterboard ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to remove the plasterboard ceiling in my bedroom to add some sound insulation. I have removed a small part and I can see it is two layers of plasterboard attached directly under the wooden joists and there is also a pipe and cables between the joists.

Any tips on tools to use and how to easy remove the plasterboard ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Crowbar-angle.jpg
[/img]

And a dust mask + goggles!

do I need to add any support on the pipes and cables when I remove the plasterboard ceiling?

The pipes and plasterboard should already be clipped to the ceiling joists, but if your worried, go slow and inspect frequently...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
what about the old screws that attach the plasterboard to the ceiling, do I need to unscrew them from the joists?

Can't you take the sound insulation up through the loft hatch instead of removing the ceiling?

No it is a Victoria conversion building and there is another flat above, so I have access only from the ceiling

If you rip the ceiling down with a crow bar be careful not to hook any cables etc.

Also, if you do get going well then be careful that you don't undo a large piece of plasterboard and have it crashing down on anything valuable. The scrims can keep hold until the last second then they can rip unexpectedly.

Chop around the edge with a bolster chisel to free the corner scrim.

1. The suggested heavy wrecking bar will work, but a flat bar is more manageable.
Use the nail pulling ends, or hammer claws, to pull all nails and screws - dont go driving them back into the joists unless necessary.

2. Open up a small piece near the centre of the ceiling and then merely gently pull the sheets down by hand.
I'd suggest, dont use a bolster to free the edges - use a utility knife, do this before dropping any board.

3. Enormous amounts of fine dust will probably come down - be prepared.
If two people are involved, its so much easier and cleaner and safer.
Stand on solid steps or step-ups.

4. Double P/B sheets suggests an attempt at sound proofing - do the same again.

5. Take care of all cable and accessory and pipework issues while the ceiling is open.

If it's a leasehold flat...do you have permission to wreck the freeholders ceilings???

I'd suggest, dont use a bolster to free the edges - use a utility knife, do this before dropping any board.
Have you ever tried knifing an entire (plastered) ceiling wall abutment?

Knife method - all day.

Hammer and bolster - 15 mins.

Trying to strike a knife at that height with any gusto is awkward and a bit fiddly at best.

noseall,

With respect,

1. the OP is a DIY'er, and using a bolster and hammer while up steps might not be the best practice. Cutting means one hand will be secure at all times.
Plus i've seen DIY'ers knocking off too much wall plaster, thereby creating work.

2. DIY'ers might not recognise dabbed plaster board, and go smashing it out. Cove and decorative trim also have to be taken into account.

3. Standing on steps i can comfortably reach from right to left approx 1500mm or 5ft. We do this all the time and are round the room in no time cutting all inside corners, and releasing all paint, before any board or trim is removed.

4. I do agree that its occasionally best to go at it with a bolster. Sometimes we have to go back up and hack out the top 75mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back