Removed toilet, safe to cap waste?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I am currently turning my toilet into an office (toilets are such optional items ;)), anyway, I've pulled the pan clear of the waste pipe which was easy enough but now I'm stuck.

Basically I have a 160mm cast iron waste sticking out of the floor which I plan to cap and box. The cap I've chosen is this one: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Str...Flexible+End+Cap+155+165mm/d210/sd2849/p78470

First of all is this the correct cap?

Also secondly and more importantly I have put a plastic bag over the waste pipe for the time being but noticed the bag "burped" when the upstairs flushed the loo.

Now I know that soil stacks are supposed to have a vent at the top of them but this soil pipe comes down through the house internally and I was unaware it was connected to anything other than our loo and bathroom sink. I don't want to create a vacuum by capping off the sink and loo wastes, was the "burp" just because all pipes go to a common drain and is there any way to know if the pipe is properly vented? Perhaps the pipe was vented through the sink or toilet, but I don't see how as surely both have a trap which has water to stop air and stink coming up?

Thanks in advance! :)

Pictures!

Little extra info the house has 3 floors, a ground (which is where the toilet in question is), an upper flat and a basement flat. The picture of the soil pipe is in the basement flat in a utility room. The toilet that I have removed is just on a normal wooden floor boarded floor.

(Cast Iron toilet waste 160mm)

(Internal Soil, I think the chunky side goes to the bog and the small side goes to the sink, about to check that though)

Sponsored Links
they would not have vented through the toilet or basin or u'd smell it !!!!!

is this the only stack in the house...would need venting upwards...in loft with a aav (protect from freezing) or through the roof

The building has many stacks, the other 4 toilets in the building are on different stacks.

It definitely doesn't go up all the way through the house... I think I've found where it vents though... on the side of the house there is a pipe that just sticks out of the wall that you can hear trickling in when you pour water down the toilet waste.

The strange thing about this pipe is that it just sticks out about 3 inches from the wall, it doesn't go up, it doesn't have any kind of cap on it... I was under the impression that any vent on a soil pipe had to rise past the highest opening window and then have the vent cap on top. Anyway, in my second image there is a small pipe that comes off the bigger pipe I think possibly that is what I am seeing jutting out of the outside wall (not for the sink like I though as it drains through the shower's waste which is vented for sure). Strangely the outside pipe doesn't stink (I stuck my nose up to it ;)) although neither does the open toilet waste, I was preparing my self for the most god awful smell.

Does that pipe sound like it could be the vent then given that I can hear trickling in it, and if so am I safe to cap the toilet pipe knowing that it HAS to be vented somewhere or other? Perhaps time to ring a plumber?

Thanks added! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back