Removing a chimney - urgent request

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a builder who has agreed to remove a chimney breast & stack (cost £1,500) and have also consulted my LA about Building Regs, but wondered if I need to do anything else to make the job legal & safe?

This job needs doing URGENTLY as the previous owner removed the breast at ground floor level but there is no support & the kitchen ceiling is seriously sagging (!) however my only concern is that this is an adjoining wall of our semi. Neighbours are happy for us to remove the shared stack as they don't use the fireplace but I don't want to do the job & then find we should have got a Party Wall Award or similar.

Any advice gratefully received.
Sarah

Sponsored Links
Hi Sarah,
sarah21 said:
Neighbours are happy for us to remove the shared stack as they don't use the fireplace
If I were you, I would get this in writing.To be honest it doesn't matter if your neighbour will be happy or not,the new neighbour might move in then what are you going to do if they are not happy about it ? unless the drawing plan has been approved & passed by local planning,this is very important.
This job needs doing URGENTLY as the previous owner removed the breast at ground floor level but there is no support & the kitchen ceiling is seriously sagging
Something not quite right here, the previous owner obviously has done this without building approval,if so they could liable for costs to put it right, so it shouldn't cost you anything (you will need legal advice for this) get the builder to make it temporary safe for now and again you will need advice from a building surveyor on site and not a builder.

See this from previous post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back