Removing a radiator - permanently!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove an existing radiator to install kitchen units. Is there any way of closing off the pipes without draining the system?

Bob

Sponsored Links
No, depending on what system you have ie sealed or open vented you need to drain to cap off pipes correctly.

If it's an open vented system however you can temporarily bung the open vent and cold feed at the f/e tank to make a pressure inbalance within the system and avoid draining. But if your unsure don't try it.

If you are lazy and quite affluent you can hire a pipe freezing kit from hire shops which will make life a bit easier.
However when you take into account the journey to and from hire shop and expense you will probably be better off draining down. ;)

Thanks. I don't really know what sort of system it is except that it's a combi boiler. Presumably I can close off the taps, remove the radiator and worry about the pipes next summer!

Bob

Sponsored Links
Yes, a combi is a sealed system, you can close both rad valves off and drain the rad. As long as the valves hold of course ;C)

I assumed that draining the system and restarting it would be a major exercise, particularly as I've never done it before but BAHCO seems to imply that it's not. Where would I find info on how to do it?

Do a search on draining.
Turn off boiler, locate drain off point , attach hose, vent rad and undo drain screw.
When empty do your work and refill system to 1 bar.
More detail on forum but I'm too lazy tonight after watching X factor. :LOL:
Post back if any difficulty ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back