Removing air from hot water cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a open vented system boiler ( ideal Icos He18) in a rented property. While work was getting carried out on the property all radiators was took off system bled. This was 2 months ago, The system was refilled and all air bled out radiators and cylinder re-filled. The tenant has told me of a night she is hearing a loud noise for about 5 mins and its in the pipes, I have asked her is it near the boiler, she tell's me it is not. There is no air in the radiators as I checked today and boiler seems to be running smoothly. She also tells me she has the controls heating set to off and the hot water to continuous so I assume it can only be on hot water side. Since coming home and reading tonight I can only assume there is air trapped on the hot water side , question is how do you bleed it out.

I have took a pic of what looks like a bleed valve next to cylinder and 3 way valve, can it be done via this ?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25oxkyx&s=8#.VCsEnfRDti8

Sponsored Links
Yes, that is the bleed screw, open it and let air out if there is.

Also make sure there is water in F&E tank.

Daniel.

Yes, that is the bleed screw, open it and let air out if there is.

Also make sure there is water in F&E tank.

Daniel.

Thanks, There is water in the F & E tank. Do I just used one spanner on this screw as underneath is circular ?

Could this cause the problem I have described ?

It's a soldered fitting, so use a pair of pliers (gently) to slacken the top, and the air will escape. Water will flow from the F&E tank to replace the displaced air.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It's a soldered fitting, so use a pair of pliers (gently) to slacken the top, and the air will escape. Water will flow from the F&E tank to replace the displaced air.
John :)

Do I do it like a normal radiator till the airs gone and abit of water comes out then shut it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back