removing an unwanted fishpond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have inherited an unwanted fishpond (no fish)
how do we drain the water and fill the whole in etc?
many thanks
carolyn

Sponsored Links
how big is it and what sort of liner is it? what are you intending to do with teh area once its gone?

the pond is 9ft by 6ft and the lining is black and looks like a thick plastic (sorry i know nothing whatsoever about ponds)
the pond is rectangular shape and we just want to fill the rea in and grass it over.
many thanks
carolyn

easiest way is to empty with buckets to get most of it out, and the remaining wildlife. The water can go straight on the flower beds as it will be very good for the roses!

pierce the bottom in a few places with a fork and it will drain the rest out.

fill the bottom with hardcore and the upper part with soil. you need a depth of at least 4" for grass, but deeper is better. Let it all settle for a few weeks (heavy rainfall or drenching with a hose helps) Then top it up again and it will be ready to lay a lawn onto.

Sponsored Links
There is another way to empy a fishpond that my wife used to do by accident. The pond in our old house in the garden was at a higher level than the outside tap. She used to top up the pond by dropping the hose in and running it for a while. When full she normally just turned it off and left the hose on, but sometimes took the hose off after turning it off. This syphoned most of the water out of the pond. I came home from work and saw about 50 fish fighting over about 6 inches of water.

...which is also why outside taps now should have an anti backflow valve fitted. Mine doesnt. Never seen one. But there you are....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back