Removing Chimney from Living Room...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wanting to remove the chimney breast from the living room and bedroom and keep it in the loft, I thought it would be a pretty simple job, I know you have to support the load in the loft with an RSJ or something similar (heard the things that go on the wall are no longer used?).

I have posted this job online to places like mybuilder and phoned local builders but no one seems interested in doing the job, does anyone know why that is? is this a job I can DIY?

It's a semi-detached house, built around 1949, chimney stack does not join to next doors.

Any input/help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gallows brackets are still in use - steel beams are used in certain circumstances.
Your local Building Dept will issue instructions for what they want done.

Pics of your chimney breast in the loft and chimney stack outside will help us to advise you.

Sites such as you mention are not worth attention, they are run by liars on behalf of incompetents.

This forum has helped a number of DIY'ers do what you propose, read up on here the info and pics from past similar posts (look at the bottom of the page).

Hi, will try to get some photos up, thanks!

I'll check those posts out, didn't notice them before. Just wasn't sure if it was a DIY job really, a lot of people have warned against it.

Sponsored Links
It might not be the DIY job for you - altho its straightforward it can be very dirty, and have far more to it than you now imagine. But doable for a DIY'er.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back