Removing fire cement residude from flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll leave that as the thread title because that's the important one of the two.

I applied some fire cement to the flue joint as it had cracked. Wiped up where it had spilled, used water (didn't saturate, just dampened). All looked good.

Lit the fire & as everything dried out i saw runs over the flue. Not all over, but i'm not happy with it.

So it's not like it can be 'picked' off as it's just sort of residue.

Is there a trick to getting this removed??

Also, while i'm at it - same issue but this time cement residue. Not lumps of cement, just the staining that'll come from cement water but this time on paving slabs / bricks. Is there a way of removing that?
I'm not overly fussed about that one because it's a little out of the way & isn't terrible, but i thought i'd ask while i'm asking about the fire.

Sponsored Links
I just use one of those sponge wash ups on mine, with water.....takes a few goes maybe but there's no trace now.
How about a wire brush on the paving flags?
John :)

I tried the wire brush on the paving but it didn't fare too well.

I was considering some acid solution but 1) wasn't sure if it was OTT and 2) didn't want to wreck the actual paviours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back