Removing gas fire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so short of making myself sound like an idiot! I'm looking for some advice -

no need for the whole story ....

but, the mother in law has a thing about gas, so is having the supply cut off tomorrow and the meter taken away -

what's the implications of me going in after that to remove the old fire?

I'd planned to cap the old pipe as a future precaution.

Would this be ok?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you Gas Safe Registered? The answer to this question is also the answer to whether you can remove the fire or not. It's still a gas pipe, and will still have gas in it, even when the gas meter is removed

Jase,the regs say you can't decommission a gas appliance without being GS registered. TBH I am not sure that this would apply in a non gassed house. However, I assume you intend to refit he fire in your home, for which you most definitely DO need a RGI. So why not get him to remove it.This would also minimise the risk of damage, or loss of essential parts and material. Remember the RGI should have an instruction manual to refit, especially if there are coals involved.

Sponsored Links
yep, only 1 gas appliance in the property - the gas fire.

engineers are gonna remove the meter and isolate supply tomorrow, she just wants the fire removed.

I have no plans for the fire, other than the local council skip!

Come on guys. It's a dead supply, and the fires going down the skip. RGI for live appliances where they'll still be used afterwards, but if you can't take out a dead system, then the regs are being adhered to far too stringently.

Have a chat with the engineers Jase, and see if they'll do it for a drink.

My view, once the gas has been disconnected and the meter removed the fire then is'nt a gas appliance, its just an appliance so personally i would just remove it.

i know what i would do if i wasnt gas registered but not allowed to say in here .
When the guy comes offer him a cup of tea etc and say to him you could by any chance cap off the fire for me for a few quid .
Providing its not an inset type most guys will give you the couple of minutes it takes

Get them to take meter out, cut the pipe at the fire end and blow through it to purge it of any gas, then rip away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back