Removing interior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all, new to the forum and would love some advice if you would be so kind? I'm thinking about buying the linked property but need to pursued the misses that I can mek the kitchen a bit bigger! You can see that there is a small study just off the kitchen, and my plan would be to remove this to create a bigger kitchen leading onto the hallway. I know I can remove the wall between the study and the kitchen as it is not load-bearing, but the wall between the study and the hallway is load-bearing so would be a more serious job.

Would anybody be so kind as to explain my options and the relevant indicative costs? I guess I'm looking at a supporting column or an RSJ but where would either go and what sort of costs would be involved?

Many thanks for any advice.

Ben

http://residentialsearch.savills.co...ickassetstream.aspx?type=floorplan&pID=298452

Sponsored Links
If you were intending to have the kitchen area open onto the hallway, this is likely to cause issues with fire regulations, since a fire in the kitchen would compromise the main escape route from the upper floors.

To remove the wall between study and hall would either result in a column in the middle of your kitchen, or significant extra steelwork to carry the load to the outer walls, neither of which would be a particularly useful thing to do, and all depends on what the actual structure of the walls is - no way to tell from that plan.

If you want a bigger kitchen why not put the utility room where the study is now, and remove the wall between kitchen and existing utility room? Far less work and you get a kitchen which is a better shape, approximately 20' x 11'6"

U could remove the wall to the study by spanning a steel from the dining room wall to out side wall then hang another steel off of it making a T. But I would go with the other suggestion of the kitchen diner. Great for entertaining wife loves it!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back