Removing internal wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Can anyone explain the process I need to follow to remove an internal wall
It's a chalet style house and I want to remove the wall between the gally kitchen and the dining room the wall runs up trough the bedroom and stops at about 6ft where it meets the sloping ceiling with a door into a small loft space
i would like to DIY this I have had some expirence on a similar job but have no idea about the planning department and getting it signed off etc
And how do I find what size steel I need etc ?

Maybe it would be better to get a builder in but as money is an issue at the moment I'm not sure what it would cost me ? And I was also wondering if a builder would be willing to do the planning and get the steel in and let me finish off etc.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If a structural steel beam is required then it may be a case of seeking advice from an SE (structural engineer).

He will be able to provide information as to what is needed steel and calc's wise and advise on the removal process also. You may even glean enough info' from him to do the job yourself, but this will depend upon your capabilities.

B'regs application is your responsibility and should be treated separately from the actual construction side of things. You need to notify your local authority council and seek a building notice for which you will be charged accordingly. They will need to inspect the beam and collect the calculations once the beam is in place, along with any pad-stones.

Ok I will get some advice from a structural engineer fist then and go from there, maybe get a builder in to install the beam and then do all the finishing off myself ?
Just another thought though.
Do I need permission to knock a serving hatch in a wall ?
And how big can a serving hatch be while still being a practical alternative to removing the whole wall ?
After a search on google images I have seen some nice big openings that look good without removing the entire wall I'm talking around 5 - 6 ft
Any thoughts please

A piece of 125 x 75 steel would be OK for that span.
Just do it and save yourself a shed load of money.

Sponsored Links
But as a large serving hatch would that still need a building control notice ?
And is there a maximum as a serving hatch before it becomes overkill ?
The wall length at the moment is around 4m

If it is structural, you would need to make a Building Regs application.

Only you will know if it's structural, ie is it supporting a wall upstairs, or the floor joists etc.

If in doubt, pay an SE to have a look at it.

Ok after a chat to she who knows all and some reading on the internet we are now thinking that having the wall out and having a constant view of the kitchen along with all the mess and smells is not the best idea
The serving hatch may just end up looking like a Chinese take away
So the last option is to just open up the existing doors and making the opening to take a set of double doors
So if I take out the door frame take the wall back to fit double doors and obviously fit a bigger lintel could I do this without building notice ?
Thanks everyone for your input

As before, it depends on whether or not it is a load-bearing (structural) wall. Without further info, no-one here can say definitively one way or the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back