Removing lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some lead flashing to remove from some brickwork at the rear of my house. It used to be connected to a wooden lean to that the previous owner removed.

Do I literally just remove the pointing with a chisel, pull out the lead and re-point?

Sponsored Links
In theory, yes. the books say it is held in by lead wedges, just below the depth of the pointing. However in a Victorian house I had the lead was buried so deep that I chickened out and just cut it off flush. I suppose that one could just dig the pointing out by 1/2" and if the lead does not pull out, cut it off at this depth and repoint.
Frank

Cheers frank

My house is pretty old (1880's) but the extension with the flashing was built in the 60's. I knew I would come across some lead wedges at some point, but judging by the quality of the rest of the building work, I probably won't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back