Removing old Baxi Back Boiler, 1930's, Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently stripping out a 1930's semi detached in Liverpool. After taking out the old gas fire places I've un-covered an old (possibly original) Baxi back boiler.

Today I removed the bricks around the boiler which came out easily with an SDS drill, I then noticed the casing the Baxi had a crack in it, so took my drill to it and it's coming apart very nicely. However I suddenly realized some of the casing (which I presumed to be cast) was actually white in colour. I downed tools and went to search on the internet to see if there's any records of old Baxi Back Boilers containing Asbestos. I couldn't find anything but just wanted to check here first, what do you make of these photos?

Sponsored Links
Probably lime morter as it gives insulation and thermal movement properties so brickwork doesn't crack.

The list I have on The Manuals Library doesn't contain any Baxi back boilers (GC 44 xxx xx) as containing asbestos.

When I compiled our list it became painfully obvious that there is no definitive, guaranteed complete, list of any equipment, let alone boilers, that contain asbestos. Nor do available lists claim to be complete in listing the areas where asbestos containing components are located.

We carry a warning simply advising that if anything looks as if it might contain asbestos treat it as if it is asbestos. One will then always err on the side of safety.

Sponsored Links
Just to follow up.
I'm removing a 1980s back boiler, but the remnants of some earlier fire are there.

Undernearh the boiler was the old cast iron ash box as per your photos. Mine is for underfloor draught

The box is encased in what looks like white glass wool insulation. Not sure if this is asbestos based or not?
20191201_152158.jpg
20191201_154226.jpg
20191201_152158.jpg
20191201_154226.jpg

@T200 I'm trying to do the same thing with my back boiler. Did you have to get a plumber to disconnect, and how did you get it out? Brut force?

Thanks in advance!

Hi
I cut/ unscrewed all of the pipes, then removed the rest via brute force essentially, yes. Wasnt to much trouble

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back