Removing old wall ties

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This summer i am going to replace the wall ties. It is pretty straight forward, but i have not found the answer on how i remove the old butterfly ties?

Anyone know how i do this. They do need replacing as they are causing cracking and a little brick movement.

Sponsored Links
I will be using the helixfix BUT what do you do with the problem of the old corroding ties ?

They cause the bricks to expand, so cracking the mortar and bulging if the bricks cannot move. This is my problem, so the old ties must be neutralised.

How is this done ? I have seen a video of someone cutting the mortar around an old tie and filling the joint with insulation fibre from the loft.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
I have cracks in my walls and some bulging. A guy i had out to help with some damp floor issues said i had cavity tie failure. He wasnt selling any services and we had a chat. Unfortunately i didnt go into how the ties are removed

Does anyone know about the problem of these ties corroding and so require removal?

I can put in new ties and will grind out the house to repoint it. It will look like new BUT if the ties are left in they will keep expanding in the corrosion process and so damage my new pointing.

Does anyone understand what i am on about ?

This is from here: http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/replacing-a-cavity-wall-tie.htm

One point to note is that by adding remedial wall ties, this will solve any immediate structural issues you may with your property but it won't solve the issues that any corroding ties have caused e.g. cracking and expanding mortar etc.... as if these ties are allowed to remain then the more they breakdown the worse the cracks will become.

In this case you should consult with an expert with the aim of removal.

Good article BUT it wont tell me how to remove the ties.

wrathkeg has provided a good resource. Another similar resource is:

ejcpreservation.co.uk the manual is under Resources.

Both sites are good for most things wall-tie, esp removing the damaged ties.

However, personally i would remove a few bricks at each swollen tie, and using a "Pull out tension tester" or similar, attempt to pull the old ties out. Or at least twist the tie until it snaps, near the inner skin hopefully. I have never actually attempted either method.

Renders, dash or Tyrolean are very difficult to match up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back