Removing painted lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not one to shy away from hard work but...
I have many walls in the house that have lining paper which is painted over. I need to remove this before the walls can be skimmed. I started this weekend by using hot water and fabric conditioner, along with a scraper. It took me an hour to do less than half a square metre.

I've not heard great things about the wallpaper steamers in this situation either but haven't used one myself.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Steam Stripper and wallpaper perforater
Steam stripper from DIY Store between £25/30. should do.

Thanks @Bosswhite.
I think my issue could be the lack of perforation. I.e. damping the painted lining paper was having no effect whereas perforating it and then damping it could achieve much better results? What do you think?
I'm also happy to invest in a steam stripper if that is going to boost my productivity further?

Finally, have you had to do this very task?

The emulsion on the lining paper is probably vinyl matt/silk and the vinyl content is slowing the soaking process, a perforator is the answer. Run it all over the walls and then give it a good soaking with warm water, adding fabric conditioner is a good idea I find as it definitely softens the paste, use a paddle brush not a sponge. Leave it for ten minutes and then soak again, leave for another ten minutes and soak again and then it should strip off easily. I wouldn't bother with the steam stripper, it destroys the walls underneath if left on them too long and your room will be like a sauna.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Bosswhite.
I think my issue could be the lack of perforation. I.e. damping the painted lining paper was having no effect whereas perforating it and then damping it could achieve much better results? What do you think?
I'm also happy to invest in a steam stripper if that is going to boost my productivity further?

Finally, have you had to do this very task?

I am a self employed painter/decorator, its a job that I undertake on numerous occasions, there are other methods to removing the paper but to me time means money and the customer counts the pennies.
Use a perforater either a hand one or one on a pole, use the steam stripper starting at ceiling level and work down using a decent wallpaper scraper, do not hold the steam plate on the wall too long as this can "blow " the plaster

thanks guys. I will try the perforator and multiple soakings. If this doesn't work, I will buy a steam stripper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back