removing pipework without draining down. Must be a way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to take a radiator off the wall as it is in the way of a new wall. The pipes are fed from the loft space down the wall. Is there away i can cap the 2 pipes in the loft without having to draing down the whole system to do it? I will eventually be replacing the whole central heating system but i little bit at a time room by room over a period of years, and dont want to drain the system down each time hopefully.
I know you can freeze pipes, cut them and cap them but i dont have the kit for this. Is there a fitting that can clamp onto the pipe for example? The pipes are mainly microbore copper.

Sponsored Links
If you sre cutting into and capping the pipes at loft level it should be easy to partially drain the system down to just below that level.

For work lower down you can get a freezing kit which uses a freeze spray aerosol can but this gives a very limited amount of safe working time and it could start to get expensive.

Bung the header tank potato on the open vent, carrot in the cold feed drain a bit of water off an a vacum is formed.
OR Buy the proper soft rubber bungs but then again it is a diy site :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Any apart from new they tend to be to small ;) . Personally i do find a potato works better than proper bung

Bung the header tank potato on the open vent, carrot in the cold feed drain a bit of water off an a vacum is formed.
OR Buy the proper soft rubber bungs but then again it is a diy site :LOL:

How do you know he has a header tank?

Educated guess ;) . He is planning on changing his old system. most old systems had headers . Pressurised is not that common on existing old systems.
Plus if it was pressurised or combi it would not be a hassle draining and filling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back