Removing Polystyrene tile Adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try brushing over the ceiling with UNIBOND.
This softens the adhesive,which is then easily scraped off with a paint scraper.

Sponsored Links
Try brushing over the ceiling with UNIBOND.
This softens the adhesive,which is then easily scraped off with a paint scraper.

Worked very well - but make sure you get it all off or clean up before it sets rock hard again!

excelent tip.

Thanks. :D

I have the same problem and sorry for being a bit thick...

...But what particular UNIBOND product are we talking about exactly?

Its the sttandard white "Super PVA Adhesive and Sealer" that Unibond make, http://www.makingdiyeasier.co.uk/unibond/pva.html, usually used for preparing or sealing surfaces like concrete and plaster. Available from B&Q etc. and almost all builders merchants. There are other makes of PVA adhesive but I've not tried them for this.

I used it undiluted. It was so effective the paint brush bristles came unglued from the stock!

Hope that helps. :)

Sponsored Links
This didn't work at all on my ceiling. It make the glue even harder to remove as when the pva dried the scraper wouldn't catch on the glue. Just for info in case anyone is unsure whether to start the job.. wish I hadn't. Will have to pay to have the glue skimmed over I think...

I have heard that a heat gun on a low temperature helps- haven't tried it myself though

This may not be timely, but in case anyone comes across this while searching...

I didi this a few years ago and found that heating it worked well. The burning smell from the heatgun on the adhesive did my head in though so I did it with a steamer - quick and easy.

i am no diy expert!

2 weeks ago i removed polystyrene tiles from bathroom ceiling, without taking any advice how to !!! i am only sharing my experience, to hear any comments/opimions of professionals. So this is not formal advice of how to do this!!!

i scraped the tiles first, they came off very easy leaving some patches of adhesive. the finish was concrete. when it came to removing adhesive patches i used paint striper liquid (only because it was there in the room, so i tried it). i applied it with brush, left it for half hour or so and then adhesive was coming off easy.
in my opinion his only worked as i only had few patches of adhesive, and the finish was concrete. if there was adhesive everywhere then i don't know if it would work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back