Removing stud wall between Bathroom and toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folk, We will shortly be re-doing our bathroom part of this will involve the removal of the stud wall that seperates the bath room and toilet. What I want advice about is am I thinking right about doing it, and not left anything majour out !!!!!

I know its not a load bearing wall as it has nothing under it on the ground floor and the house was built in 1875 - 1880, The interesting part thou is that both that wall and the corridor wall are what appears to be stud partition with a form of breeze block in between the wood but that only goes half way up then it seems a normal stud wall!!!!

What I plan on doing is---
-Remove the tiles and plasterboard,
-Remove breeze block,
-Carefully remove wood frame making sure the ceiling doesnt start to move too much,
-Re-board exsisting walls ( exterior wall is old Lathe and plaster and seems fragile) this will cover the gap left by the wall on both sides then cut some board to fit and fit it in the ceiling then plaster over that and tile the walls. Hopefully they havent cut the floorboards otherwise I might have to let in some new wood.

Does this seem ok or am I missing something?????

Cheers peeps

Sponsored Links
From the description I take it the wall(s) to be taken down are newer than the exterior one i.e. due to the differing plasterboard v lath and plaster? ...pinenot :)

From what we can work out it would of been built in the 50's - 70s

Its not supporting any thing in the loft only thing I can think of is the wall is built off a joist and thus why we would have to carefully remove the wood so as not to damage the joist.

Sponsored Links
Well assuming it's standard stud and plasterboard partition and has been built within the original lath and plaster walls, taking it down should present little in the way of problems, just some patching...pinenot :)

Cheers bud, Know for a fact I will be on here during the re furb as nowt in this house goes to plan lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back