Removing the beading on a UPVc window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly, this isn't a dodgy request, and if someone is able to help me and would prefer to PM me rather than posting on a public forum, that would be ok!

I need to replace a blown window at my gran's house, and I don't know how to remove the beading around the frame.

b51aab11.jpg

863a33fc.jpg

Proof if needed of the offending window:

35a3f54b.jpg

Sponsored Links
First things first, do you know how beads come out and have you tried these but failed or haven't you a clue at all?

Not doubting your ability for a minute but these beads look suspiciously like the ones that clip in the front groove first then tap down at the back, the exact opposite to how beads normally clip in, if so these are a right pain in the arse to get out with some cosmetic damage, there is a tool to remove these beads and is available from the extruder of that particular profile but its an old system and the removal tool may well be obselete now, off the top of my head its either a synseal OR sheerframe profile

Thanks crank39.

I admit, I've no idea whatsoever how to remove these, and your comments make me think I'm out of my depth and should entrust the job to an expert.

I don't know who the manufacturer is, but can tell you they were fitted about 6-8 years ago by Chesterfield Borough Council, who I understand manufacture their own units as they have so many properties. Bit of trivia there for you!

Just replaced a "blown" unit, get yourself a wide(2 inch) scraper on the long axis place the scraper in the join to the frame at an angle and give the handle a sharp tap with the palm of your hand. That should go into the join, use the scraper as a lever and hold the gap with a dining knife or similar, use the scraper in stages side to side and the bead should come out. Repeat on other long length and then short lengths. To refit place front of short bead into position and use a rubber mallet carefully to knock into place, repeat.

Sponsored Links
With crank, they look like security beads and need to be pulled out from the back first

Could I maybe pop a couple of chipboard screws in and pull hard on them to pull the bead out, then pop a white cap in to tidy it up after?

Or does that just sound totally barbaric! :D

That sounds totally barbaric but if your determined to change the glass yourself to save money then its your call, you could always make a tool as shown

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back