Removing top of Hotpoint washing machine to lower its height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at a new washer and considering a Hotpoint such as the WML520P. However, at 850mm high its too big to fit under a kitchen worktop where the last one lived. I had to take the top of the last washer to reduce its height by 2cm. Is it likely I could do the same with a new Hotpoint?
(The guy in Currys said no, but he may just be covering the company's backside for health and safety.)

Sponsored Links
As the standard height for kitchen worktops is 90cm...and standard height of most washing machines is 85cm I guess you have 3 choices.
1: change the worktop height. 2: dig a hole & put the washer in it. 3: ignore Currys. Personally I would go for number 2, but it's your choice :rolleyes:

I do not know about that particular hotpoint but I do know that Zanussi do have a plate to fit over the top of their washing machines when you remove the original lid to fit it under lower worktops, they can be pricey though.

Something like these

http://www.4ourhouse.co.uk/cgi-bin/...l=&part=height+reduction+kit&style=washerhelp

I have made plates before to fit over machines from the sides of old ones for customers.

Sponsored Links
The manufacturer's plate is a good idea from their perspective: extra £ + the insides are protected, but I just made a 2" cover for the front of the top of mine as the worktop covered the innards.

Besides, as zipper is aware, I've got my 24yo washer working again so I don't need a new machine after all.

Usual height of kitchen base units is 870mm So that appliances will fit under.
Sounds like someone fitted the units too low. !!!!

The cost for some are ridiculous hence the reason I have made them from dishwasher and washing machine panels for customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back