Removing vinyl tile adhesive from floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I was wondering if anyone knew of a product which removes black, tarry adhesive from floorboards? I live in a Victorian terrace (don't know how long the lino tiles have been down) and I want to sand back my hallway but this stuff on the floor is proving a real nightmare. Does anyone have any tips or know of any products which will remove this gunk?
Thanks in advance
liz

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies. I don't want to replace the boards though – we did that in the dining room and although we're pleased with the result it was a bit of a nightmare!
Thanks for the ideas so far.

Sponsored Links
My worry is that the adhesive, or adhesive + solvent once you've removed the adhesive, will penetrate and discolour the wood. Or may leave residues which interfere or interact with any subsequent surface finish, sanding notwithstanding. Also, it might look OK to start with, but bitumen based stuff will darken with exposure to light.

Try a small area first, before embarking on a major cleaning and sanding operation - it might be more of a nightmare than replacing the boards...

Just a thought,
What about, perhaps, turning the boards over, as a last resort before moving to the replacement zone.... Only need to clean up joist bearing area, and perhaps just replace the 'edge' boards adjacent to walls.
P

i had that exact same thought about turning them over thus only having toscrape off 10% of the board :LOL:

the only thought that stopped suggesting it was are there any implications as regards to the adhesive reacting with any thing under the floor like wire polythene or insulation and maybe fire regs

i certainly doubt there is but worth mentioning :rolleyes:

Chance to place the cables in safe position, even replace perhaps.
Should anything be that close to the boards, today ?

Agreed,

ban-all-sheds is right regarding replacing the boards as it will give you chance to see any rot and wiring problem as it's a Victorian terrace, so it's an old property.

another though you wont in my oppinion be able to sand very much adhesive without clogging the belts up could be wrong though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back