Removing wallpaper uncovered strange brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time poster after a few months of viewing since putting in offer on this house :)

Got keys a week ago and started removing the old old wallpaper as a job I could do before I get in plumber and electrician for works required.

Anyhow I had expected there to be some loose plaster areas on house built ~1910 but a supporting wall contained large format bricks and timber that I wasn't expecting.

I've attached a few images to see if anyone could identify whether this is standard or something previous owner bodged, only other work I have seen they did was pretty rubbish but wasn't a major issue.

thanks for any help and apologies if there's a more suitable forum for this post :)

Rob

Sponsored Links
It was quite common back then to infill the timber studwork with brickwork, instead of using laths for the plaster.
The bricks are not that big, just laid on edge.

Thanks very much for the quick reply :)

First house, and as much as I can read before I start it seems there'll always be things to surprise me :p

Sure i'll be back with something else eventually

but again thanks

Rob

Interesting house - high ceilings , nice bannister , those walls more solid than lath ( noise transmission ). You might have a quality place there ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nige,

I do hope so, that bannister is remarkably sturdy but looking along the ?spindles? they're up to about 25mm from all being level.

I assume it's not intentional (having never built one myself) but it adds character so whatever :)

2.8 Mtr ceilings up and down and a lot of old featuring in hallway and architraves + Skirts (most places). Attractive but adds to my job list and makes stripping wallpaper that bit more c**p :D

That dividing wall between the landing and bedroom is a standard brick-on-edge partition wall, stiffened with timber studding. As Noseall pointed out, it was a fairly standard way of building partitions in the late 19th/early 20th century. Using the bricks on their thinner faces obviously makes the wall thinner and saves weight.
It was regarded as a more acceptable way of building partitions, one of the advantages being that there is no space for vermin to inhabit, unlike hollow lath-and-plaster partitions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back