Removing weeds/grass prior to laying turf.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I've cleared and levelled about 30 sq m in preparation to lay turf.

Before I can do this, I need to erect a fence between mine and the neighbours garden. I'll soon be ordering the fence supplies but don't envisage the turf being laid for well over a month.

Since it was a couple of weeks since I cleared the ground, small weeds and tiny grass shoots have begun to spring up (as you'd expect).

My questions is, is there anything I can do to prevent weeds growing until I'm ready to lay the turf? If not, is it just a case of continually plucking them out? I presume it's only weeds/dandelions I need to remove and that I can ignore the grass shoots?

Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

K-Rod.

Sponsored Links
if you have already raked it and trodden it firm, you can use Pathclear weedkiller if you want. This will kill the small weeds you already have, and leaves a layer on the surface that prevents new seeds germinating. If you dig, rake or hoe it, you will break this layer and they will start again.

As you are planning to lay turf (not grass seed) the chemical that prevents seeds growing will not hurt your new lawn.

The chemical loses its power after a few months so it will not permanently poison the soil.

The chemical loses its power after a few months so it will not permanently poison the soil.

But it will kill other than plants.

You could cover the ground with fabric or cardboard, or just run over the ground with a dutch hoe. That will probably need doing each week to get the weeds as they come up, but it will get rid of successive germinations.

ceratinaly wouldnt use pathclear where i would be laying turf.

i agree with oilman on this one (blimey! :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for all your replies.

It sounds like chemicals are out, I'd need a lot of cardboard to cover 30sq m and weed control fabric needs a covering on top to block out light I believe and I've none of that.

So it looks like the only option is to hoe/weed them every couple of weeks.

If anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime please let me know ;)

You could get the cardboard cheaply if you go to a greengrocer. They have loads of boxes they'd be pleased to get rid of.

Like many chemicals it will kill amphibians and worms.

You can read, this for human poisoning incidents containing the active ingredients Diflufenican and Oxadiazon, but I suggest you do your own research as then I won't be giving you untrustworthy links.

amphibians and worms.
not mentioned in the government paper

The "human poisonings" appear to be where people have drunk the stuff :eek: for example in suicide attempts :(

I have a feeling you are just more anti-chemical than me.

I said the paper was for human poisoning incidents. I said you could do your own research (then you don't have to keep coming back). You have misread the paper unless you are saying there must have been a suicide attempt at inhaling the contents of a sprayer. Read pages 11 and 12 more carefully.

PS The following licensed products contain glyphosate as part of the formulation:

M13195 Path WeedKiller

M13388 Path WeedKiller Concentrate

M12599 PathClear Easymix

M12896 PathClear Gun! Season Long

M14137 PathClear Gun! WeedKiller

M12900 PathClear Season Long

M12476 PathClear Ultra

M12557 PathClear Ultra Gun!

M14143 PathClear WeedKiller LC

M14138 PathClear WeedKiller PC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back