Removing wires from deactivated ADT system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old ADT Alarm whose wires ran under the carpet. Yesterday I had wood floors installed and now there are wires running on top of the floors attached to sensors and doors. I don't plan on using the alarm again but am unsure whether I can cut the wires and remove them. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Depending on how its set up will depend on how it responds.
its best to get a system professionally decomisioned.

Cutting the cables can damage the system and cause the alarm to activate.

If you have exernal sounders, you may upset the neighbours and in the USA they may have guns?

To completely decommission the system, you need to remove mains power and battery backup power. You will generate tampers and the alarm WILL go off.

First, check how much equipment you have which is powered by the mains. Usually, this is just the main control panel but, in larger installations, you may have additional power supplies.

First, open up the bell, disconnect the 12V power and the backup battery. Then open up the control panel (and any PSUs) and disconnect the mains (by pulling out the fuse?) and the battery by pulling off the faston terminals. Now the whole system is dead, you can start chopping cables (except the mains cables and any telephone lines!).

You'll find more posts on powering down and decommissioning on this forum...

Sponsored Links
The only knowledge I have is a description of one of their "high security bell boxes"

4x wires

2x (+ & - ringer)

2x anti tamper

Oh boy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back