Renault Clio Thermostat..??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
broke down a few weeks ago and the RAC man came round to fix the leaking water pipe. he noted that my thermostat was also dead and removed it for me. he advised me to get another one.
which thermostat should i be getting for a:

'97 Renault clio Provence 1.9 Desiel

ive been looking about but cant seen to find a definitive answer. looked in the haynes manual but that just shows how to change one and not what code part i need. any help would be fanatastic!

thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Seriously, any motor factors should get the correct one for you, if you quote them the reg number...If all else fails, a Renault main stealer will definitely sort you the right bit.
I think the stats for these F8Q and F9Q motors are the same anyway.
Cheers John :)

Yip nothing special bout this stat.

First Line part numbers FTS122.88 or FTS122.82. Choice of 88deg or 82deg.

Should only cost 5 or 6 quid
Piece of cake to fit. Remember to use correct anti freeze on refill as you cant mix the different types. I recommend using red anti freeze and about two litres should be more than enough. And do a full flush when you come to change it as thsi will get rid of any crap in the system. Any questions please ask.

Good Luck

Sponsored Links
wow thanks for such quick and helpful replies guys!

now youve opened up another worry for me... different types of anti freeze?? what?? didnt know i had to put in special anti freeze. i obviously use the diesel kind but its just a garage brand.
when you say flush out the system, do you mean just keep pouring water through with the thermostat pipe unattached, or is there a process i should go through?

thanks again

Right. Go to your local factors. Not halfrauds cos they will rip you off. Get a radiator flush, Two litres of red anti freeze and the thermostat and gasket. Put the flush in before starting any work. Run if for a few hours to get all the crud moving. Drain the cooling system via bottom radiator hose the refill with fresh water and run again for 20 mins to make sure your cooling system is clean and has no chemical in it.
Drain again and then fit the thermostat. Put your anti freeze in then top up with water. Your cooling system will take about 4lts of water on top of the antifreeze. Run the engine and make sure you have got rid of any airloks. Make sure then gauge sits where it should when engine is up to temp and that heater is blowing nice and hot.
This will leave you sorted for 3 to 5 years depending on antifreeze spec.

The reason for the different colours are as follows.

Blue -Premium traditional antifreeze contains Mono Ethylene Glycol.

Red -Pure concentrated ethylene glycol, silicate free with Organic Acid Technology

Green -Silicate based OAT (Organic Acid Technology) Antifreeze

Most cars run on red. older stuff runs on blue and a select few need green. You cannot mix them as they will react and give you no antifreeze at all

Hope this helps

excellent thanks for the help!

whats the difference between the different temperature thermostats? do i have make sure i get the correct temp thermo, or is it a matter of choice? if choice whats the difference between them/ what do they do to the engine or A/C differently?
thanks

The thermostat decides at what temperature the engine runs at...usually about 90 deg before it opens. Often the temperature is marked on the stat and I'm sure if the one you fitted was a couple of degrees out you'd not notice.
These have no effect on the air conditioning, just the cars heater.
John :)

hi guys
gonna go get the stuff for the repair tonight. when jimbo said, run the car for 3 hours to let the radiator flush work its magic, does that mean i have to drive the car for 3 hours or just park it and have it running for 3 hours?

many thnaks!!

dont have to drive it for 3 hrs, get it up to running temperature (5 or so mile drive) then just leave it running.
Personally i think 3 hrs is a bit over the top, hour should do it no problem

The flush is a descaler so the longer its in the better but not too long. We used to put it in and give it at least two hours running. you'd be surprised at what comes out.

What ever happened to the Ce-Lit double pack with caustic soda and neutraliser?

next you will be telling us you use frosties boxes to make gaskets ;)

hi guys got the stuff...
what do i do with the gasket? its a big job changing a gasket aint it?

tbh i forgot to get the gasket, did you mean a head gasket? or another type of gasket?

Sponsored Links
Back