rendering on parapet walls, but no flash cover?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I just got my slate roof fixed by a builder I found on mybuilder. He has really good reviews so I went along with it.

The roof already had slate layed, and soakers nicely tucked in. We asked him what was required to finish and seal the roof, he suggested that the parapet walls with soakers required 3 sand 1 cement mix rendering and that would seal the roof and make it water tight.

He said soakers and cement rendering on the parapet walls would be enough.

I was not aware of what should go over the soakers on the parapet wall, so we agreed. The job was completed, though after reading on the forums. I see that there should have been lead put on.

The job has just been finished but im worried as there was no lead used to cover the soakers, water may start coming in soon.

I have found a picture of a parapet slate roof that does have lead flashing on the internet, but have edited to show how my parapet wall is without the lead.

so at the moment as it stands, there is soakers beneath the 3 sand 1 cement mix rendered wall for protection, but nothing over that. There is no cement fillets either, just a straight smooth rendered wall?

Is this a problem? Has the roofer missed a key point that we should've been notified of before starting the job?

What should I do now?

I would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The lead soakers should be covered with a lead flashing.
Rendering over them (if that is what he has done) will not work long-term.
What makes it worse is the strength of the mix. It is too strong and will crack, letting in water, and may also damage the existing brickwork.

I finally managed to get a new roofer to come and do the job, however he has only just started and I am not sure if he is doing it the correct way.

He has suggested he will place leading against the brick wall, put a render bead above it, and do a 2 system render to cap it.

Though the lead will not be chased into the wall, and the lead will be held merely by the render bear.

I was lead to believe that the lead capping should be chased into the wall then the render bead on top.

He is telling me im wrong, I really dont want another roofer to rip us off.

Please can you explain what is the correct way to install the lead and render bead.

Any replies would be really appreciated.

Regards,
James

Sponsored Links
This guy is cowboy no. 2. As the last two posters have both said, the lead upstand should be chased into the wall, about 1", firmly wedged and pointed up. The rendering shoudn't go over the lead - it won't stick for long anyway - and the rendering certainly shouldn't be relied on to hold the lead in place.
Get someone else.

Thanks for your reply guys. I am going to confront him tomorrow to see if he does it the propper way, or tell him to get lost.

I phoned the confederation of roofing contractors who this company is a member off, and they also suggested to me the roofer was cutting corners.

I don't know who to trust anymore, all the roofers come and say they know the propper way.

Come to do the job and they are cutting corners.

You have rightly been advised of the correct detailing.. now you know you know what to look out for.

The soakers should 'move' with the roof.

The cover flashing, which does not 'move', allows the soakers to shift about beneath without causing damage to the soaker.

Rendering the soakers in, is not only a weathering hazard but a structural no-no.

I am just having a new roof done to replace the old one, Victorian house with rendered parapet walls.
A few questions.
The promise was lead flashings but got cement fillets, we got them removed and lead done, but with the new slates walked on using a heavy wood plank.
The parapet walls were rendered after the roof was slated and the soakers rendered into the wall. noseall says that is incorrect and I felt it was but without knowing why. How should it be done please?

Ar you sure it's the soakers themselves which have been rendered, and not the flashing?

As Tony said! it should have a cover flashing over the soakers.

Hi, Thanks. It's a sloping slate roof.

The soakers are rendered into the parapet wall.

Flashings will be let into the parapet wall and just go vertically down to the roof.

It's difficult to finsd a definitive guide as to how it should be done.

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar problem and an extra question.

My abutment wall looks like this:

09D77D27-1EAF-416F-8755-0BD2E504258D.jpeg

I intend to put lead over the soakers and chase it into the wall then a bell bead over the top and render to that.

How do I chase the lead in? The bricks are pretty soft so could I just grind out a straight line?
Or, should I do stepped chasing into the mortar around each brick?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back