rendering retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just built 3ft high wall that will be used as a planter. i have built in weep holes and drainage will not be a problem. built from concrete blocks. i need to know what type of render mix to use. it will have to be painted afterwards. what type of paint. i am panicing thinking it may get damp and fall off. plus would putting a polythene membrane behind wall (between wall and soil)help stop damp penetrating wall.

Sponsored Links
have looked at site but does not really explain about rendering retaining wall and ideal mix and best way to avoid damp...

The best way to avoid damp is to have a membrane and proper drainage behind the wall, this is shown in the diagram. If the wall has a moisture barrier then you're not going to get damp problems, so rendering shouldn't be an issue.

Sponsored Links
thanks... i was going to put thick polythene behind wall unless you would advise otherwise and recommend another membrane type...

i will use a mix of 3 sharp sand - 1 cement - 1 hydrated lime for the scratch coat and 5-1-1 for the top coat. its going to be on a curved wall i've built. i've done a little plasterin before but will probably be better with a rough or patterned finish to hide any imperfections.

could you advise how to get different finishes or recomend good site..

thanks matt (heating engineer)

matt73 said:
thanks... i was going to put thick polythene behind wall unless you would advise otherwise and recommend another membrane type...

i will use a mix of 3 sharp sand - 1 cement - 1 hydrated lime for the scratch coat and 5-1-1 for the top coat. its going to be on a curved wall i've built. i've done a little plasterin before but will probably be better with a rough or patterned finish to hide any imperfections.

could you advise how to get different finishes or recomend good site..

thanks matt (heating engineer)

hi matt, did you have any luck in rendering your wall, cause at present i am going through the same scenario......

could you give me some tips please!!!!!

thanks

chanel

I am also about to tackle a similar project Matt and need the same questions answered.

Did you use the render mix you were planning? If so, was it effective?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :p

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back