Renovating/stripping wooden sash

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone talk me through this. I have begun to scrape the old paint off the inside of the sash with a stiffish scraper followed by sandpaper and this is going well. At some point I imagine I will need to remove the wooden bar at the sides to get to that part and then do the outside. So remove the sashes from the frame, board the window and do all the paint removal, glass removal, re-fitting and then re- painting with them out? The windows (two) are on the first floor with outbuildings at the back of the house blocking access.
Does this sound like a plan? Anyone done this and have advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
To remove a sash window first run a stanley knife around where the staff bead meets the frame.
Then using a small prybar or old chisel prise the staff bead off starting in the middle.
The lower sash will now be free and you can take the sash cords off, usually 3 or 4 nails and its easier if two people do this together. If the cords are in a good condition tie a loose knot in them so the ends don't run through the pully.
You now need to get the parting bead out so again use the stanley knife to cut the paint where it enters the frame and prise it out, this can be very easy or it can break into pieces.
You can now release the top sash.
I wouldn't try and remove the glass as it can take a long time it the putty is rock hard, you will probably break the glass any way and there is an easier way.
If you put the sash on trestles and then put very, very damp newspaper on the glass you can use a blow torch and scraper to get rid of the old paint.

Thanks chipie for that practical advice. I'm thinking that first things first- I'll take the windows out, that'll be an achievement in itself and then gauge whether to leave the glass in.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back