Repacing beading on wooden Double Glazed windows (2)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's already been one thread on this, with good advice, but my questions are slightly different.

As with the other thread, my problem is similar: 10yr old wooden windows and many of the side beads are now rotting.

Personally I'm unable to do the repairs myself, and there are quite a lot to do - mostly on upstairs windows. From looking at the beading its the "chamfered rectangle" sort, probably about 10mm when fully square.

My questions are:
1. Am I likely to be able to get pre-formed beading of the correct size, or is it a make it up job? (Brief internet search throws up beading, but not the correct size :cry: )
2. Which part of the trade would do the work (to ensure its done properly, with correct tape & sealant etc): glazier, carpenter or decorator?
3. The original side beading comes down to but against the bottom beading, but one site I've seen strongly suggests a gap should be left to reduce the risk of seepage into the end-grain. What's the advice on here for that?

tia.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back