Repainting banister spindles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

We're going to repaint our banister spindles from the hideous shiny oil based gloss which is now a yellowey colour and full of run marks...

Some I have sanded a bit to key them, which is quite a bit of faff as everyone knows.

If I were to get rid of any runs, using sand paper, could I then use Liquid Sandpaper, to speed up the process and reduce the mess - I am intending to paint with Crown waterbased satinwood...

Any tips much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ive just renovated my stairs (//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hallway-stairs-landing-project.456199/) and I can tell you that you will need to sand more than you think to get a good quality finish. Can't say I have used Liquid sandpaper, but I would take a guess that it is some naff product that doesnt really work that well. I could be totally wrong. Get some sanding pads, they are good for curved bits. Its a lengthy process. You will sand and probably go back and sand more to get it good. Mine was a bit different because mine was stained, but still. I would also make sure you sand in steps. Do rough grit to get gloss off and then get it finer for better finish.

Someone might have more experience of painting onto an oil based gloss that has gone yellow.

If I were to get rid of any runs, using sand paper, could I then use Liquid Sandpaper, to speed up the process and reduce the mess - I am intending to paint with Crown waterbased satinwood...
I've never used liquid sandpaper but my understanding is that it just provides a key. It's not suitable for damaged wood, or wood that needs a bit of work, ie, getting rid of previous drip marks and runs. I don't think you can have an easy solution to good ol' elbow grease for that one am afraid.
And I hope crown water based paint is better than the last time I used it a few years ago - peeled right off. As it's going on an area that will get a bit of wear, I would say sanding is even more important to give the new paint a chance to adhere.

Sponsored Links
I've used the Crown paint for a few skirting boards so far and despite fears I'm finding it decent :)

I think I'll use a combo of paper, liquid, elbow grease, and even a scalpel (to slice off very thick drips).

I'm thinking 120 grade paper to degloss?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back