repainting plaster cornice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently restoring the original victorian plaster cornice in my house, I am using peel away to get rid of the emulsion build up and having great fun spaying and picking away at the distemper to get rid of that :cry:

My question is how should i tackle repainting the cornice after have got rid of all the old paint (and neutralised with the stuff that came with peelaway)?

I.e do i need a primer on the original plaster, and if so what? or
Do i just apply a mist cost like painting modern bare plaster?

Also has anyone used anykind of spray system to paint cornice? - i thought this would help keep a good definition in the moulding, or is it just a case of carefully applied thin coats?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
smallish soft brush, thin coats. Mist coat first

beware of getting it too wet as it is probably nailed or screwed to the ceiling with iron.

BTW I heard of someone getting distember off by smearing hot porage on it, then peeling off when cold. might be worth a try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back