Repair Brickwork Coming Away From Structure

D

Deleted member 242536

Hi All

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to repair the below brickwork which is coming away from the structure. It's not a problem at the moment however I am planning to upgrade the door and frame and want to make sure that it remains strong and secure.

back brickwork.jpg

Thanks

Khuz

Sponsored Links
Khuz29, good evening.

A few questions?

What type of floor does this structure have? is it Concrete?
Is there a similar crack and displacement on the "Other Side" of the Structure, that is on the diametrically opposite side of the extension?

The reason for the question is that the entire extension could be "Rotating" away from the main building? this can imply that the extension is Subsiding?
But please understand this is an opinion not bases on any meaningful information, simply a digital image?.

Is there any external ponding of water? or are any of the underground drains backing up? any really damp patches on the surface of the ground around the extension?

Some further information will allow the board to assist?

Ken.

You wont repair it as the rear addition is moving away from the house - the timber frame head is even being pulled outwards. Foundation movement. It may have stopped or it might be continuing. You can repoint it, thats all.

Check any drains at the rear of that addition for leaks, or it could be large trees or shrubs drying the ground

A wider picture would help, but Woodys pointing you in the right direction. Exactly what is the side structure.

Sponsored Links
Its irrelevant what the side structure is - its pulling away with a significant 10mm crack providing an entry for water damage.

If the damage is historic then pointing (as above) and some codge of flashing to cover the gap between the flat roof and the main house wall will do.

Problem is that the wood lintel is now exposed to penetrating water and any replacement would involve new brickwork to the "parapet".

FWIW: although the bricks look to be the same I wonder if the structure is a later addition? Something not quite right about the parapet brick join, & locating the door opening at the structural join, and the coping stone?

OP, why not post a pic showing the flat roof where it hits the main wall?

Hi

Thanks for the responses so far, to answer the questions asked above.

• The pulling away is the same on both sides and has been like this for well over 10 years.
  • Side structure is a garage and the drain is almost 500mm above the the part shown in the picture.
  • I've seen no evidence of subsidence or landslip and water ponding isn't an issue near the structure.
My theory is the lintel and the brickwork above the door wasn't anchored correctly into the side garage and the weight of the opposite wall lead to it being pulled away over time. I had suspected it might be a situation of completely removing the brick work and rebuilding it and anchoring it properly into the side of the garage.

110668-9651f69f868d07c2293deed9a44b644d.jpg

Hopefully the image above gives you a better idea of the overall structure. Let me know if any more images are needed.

Thanks

Khurram

Attachments

• back of house.jpg
    back of house.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 185
Just noticed that image is pretty awful.

Please find attached.

DSC_0292.jpg
DSC_0293.jpg

My theory is the lintel and the brickwork above the door wasn't anchored correctly

Your theory might be valid for the QE2, but with walls no amount of "anchoring" will stop a wall moving.

Has the problem been getting worse over the last 10 years, or is it stable, because if it's stable, then just cut out the cement, and repoint. If it's getting worse, then look to the foundations on the side wall, and see if it's leaning outwards.

I haven't noticed that it's gotten worse over the past few years but it is heavily screwed into the garage side wall. Also I haven't noticed anything that indicates any instability in the foundations anywhere else.

The reason I don't want to do a repoint is because I feel it is temporary and due to weathering likely need doing again. Also it looks pretty untidy.

I was thinking by redoing it completely I could anchor it properly into the garage and put in a completely new wooden frame and door which is much stronger than the one that's in at present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back