repair drill holes through plaster & masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i'd be grateful if someone could point out some tips or product that I can use to fill some old drill holes that go through my plaster and in to masonary? The house is over 80 years old therefore the plaster is very thin and you come up against the masonary very quickly.

The holes are basically above a window frame where I intended to put up a large curtain rail and need to drill some holes for the fixings (about 4mm dia) - sods law dictates that there's old drill holes of up to 7-8 mm where I would like to place the holes for the curtain pole.

Is there anything that I can fill the holes with but will be sturdy enough to allow me to drill through them to place suppports for the curtain rail.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why not use the same holes then? Use a heavy duty Plasplug (which requires a 7mm hole) drill a little deeper if required to suit the length of the plug.

4mm seems a bit small anyway for a large curtain rail + the weight of curtains.

Thanks KD - it's not so much a case as there are ready-drilled useful holes waiting to be used, rather that they are randomly placed holes in the wall which are of no use as they would never line up with what I'm trying to hang. I'd pretty much like to start with a clean sheet and fill in the mess and place my own holes correctly.

Basically if I pack them with polyfilla and let them dry out for a week will that be sufficient. By the way the curtains and rail are incredibly light ~1.5kg.

Sponsored Links
pauly1 said:
Hi , i'd be grateful if someone could point out some tips or product that I can use to fill some old drill holes that go through my plaster and in to masonary? The house is over 80 years old therefore the plaster is very thin and you come up against the masonary very quickly.

The holes are basically above a window frame where I intended to put up a large curtain rail and need to drill some holes for the fixings (about 4mm dia) - s***s law dictates that there's old drill holes of up to 7-8 mm where I would like to place the holes for the curtain pole.

Is there anything that I can fill the holes with but will be sturdy enough to allow me to drill through them to place suppports for the curtain rail.

Cheers

I had the very same problem today. I used the traditional method of making wooden plugs out of softwood to fill the too big old hole/s, tidy'd up with polyfilla, then it did'nt matter too much if new hole landed in old hole area. I used longer scews than supplied.. ;)
good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back