Repair or replace boiler quandry

I had to have my son's Intergas belatedly serviced - a call to Intergas, and the official service engineer (our Razor, again!) was there within a couple of days. And all available spares, if needed, were there in the van.

By contrast, the local Intergas listed GasSafe man (an independent) couldn't even be bothered to get back to me.

I won't even begin to bore you with what happened when I had a problem with my Vaillant EcoTec within 6months of install. Suffice to say, they weren't over interested.....

Sponsored Links
Razor,

Do they do installs directly? I'm looking on their site for somone to come give a quote to remove old and install new, possibly relocated from bathroom to kitchen (playing with the idea) but I can't seem to locate that.

I can find the merchant locator, but is that the same thing or are they just the 'local approved' reseller/supplier or GasSafe fitters?

FYI I'm up in Manchester and the nearest to me listed... webpage not available (oops).

No direct installs, but through the power of the Internet someone will be along shortly to offer to give you a quote ;)

We are P5 installers basef in Manchester more than happy to discuss your requirements with you.

If you PM me your number I will give you a call to discuss over the weekend.

Sponsored Links
Should maybe add that I was so impressed with the boiler I have installed one at home which you wouldbe welwelcome to see if you wanted.

I'll put my tuppenceworth in. I had an HRE SB installed at the end of last year, having been impressed by the engineering qualities I saw on the display unit in the merchants. As I posted in January I had the misfortune to suffer a major malfunction due to a manufacturing error, rare I acknowledge but these things happen. The technician came within 24 hours and the boiler was restored to operation, but it was apparent some time later that it wasn't functioning at full performance. I took the matter up again, having lost some confidence in my original choice. I was surprised and pleasantly pleased that Intergas took their warranty responsibilities sufficiently seriously that they agreed to supply and install a replacement boiler at their cost. This was swiftly organised and took no more than 2 hours to accomplish. It has performed faultlessly since then. I can only speak from my experience but I feel you would be hard pressed to find better warranty support from any manufacturer. I'll state the obvious, I have no commercial connection with Intergas or any plumbing company, but eviltoad you can have one of these with every confidence.

Regards
Martin

Last edited:
By contrast, the local Intergas listed GasSafe man (an independent) couldn't even be bothered to get back to me.

Is he still listed by InterGas ? If a listed tradesman doesn't meet the requires of customer service then he should be de-listed and no longer recommended by the manufacturer.

Or was he listed as an installer and not as a service technician. There is a big difference between installing and diagnosing and repairing faults.

Installations are almost always profit making. Diagnosing and repairing faults is not so profitable.

Bernard servicing is far more lucrative than installs in most cases you just need a lot more of it!

When an installer is Platinum (P5) rated through Intergas it means they have been on a familiarisation course with us so should have knowledge of installation, set up and repair on the boilers. It does not imply that we have checked how they conduct their business.

Similarly if you call gas safe to complain about someone overcharging you they won't be interested. They are there purely for the safety aspect.

OP I've met Jon G, seen his work and have no hesitation in recommending him.

Bernard, it came up when I clicked the "Find your installer" button.

I see what you are saying - and it makes sense, but I imagined that a boiler service would be a profitable, pleasant and repeatable activity for an RGI.

As it happened, it turned out well for me (thanks, Razor!!) but if someone allows themselves to be listed on an official site, you'd think they would live up to their responsibities?

Bernard servicing is far more lucrative than installs in most cases you just need a lot more of it!

but I imagined that a boiler service would be a profitable, pleasant and repeatable activity for an RGI.

I make the distinction between "servicing" and "diagnostic and repair".

Servicing is generally a standard list of things to check, clean and maybe replace. Requires little if any diagnostic skills. Been there, done it in the early years of my career. Yes it was very lucrative and at times quite enjoyable. But there were times when it was a bit of a boring routine doing the same things to several identical machines at the same location on the same day.

Diagnose and repair was and is very different. It requires the ability to think out of the box to determine the fault and then replacing the only those parts that were known to be faulty.

Many ( too many ) repair "technicians" do not have the necessary skills to fault find other than by changing parts until the fault is no longer there. Charging the customer for all the parts changed even when only one of them was needed to be changed.

That said the manufacturers fault finding flow charts are not always that good at encouraging proper diagnosise of the fault and seem to prefer replacing parts rather than precise determination of the fault. The use of test equipment seems to be avoided.

Fan not running.

Change fan

Fault still there

Replace old fan, change PCB

Fault still there

Replace fan again

Fault still there.

Give up, go home and phone tech support in the morning....

The original fan had gone short circuit and as a result the fan controller on the original PCB had been destroyed

The new fan didn't work because the fan controller was destroyed

Putting the original fan back in and changing the PCB resulted in the fan controller on the new PCB being destroyed.

A couple of tests with a multi-meter would have have enabled the faults ( fan and PCB ) to have been found and thus avoided the destruction of a second PCB

@dilalio you make some very balanced posts. If you're interested in seeing the Intergas boilers for yourself we run training courses at gas logic in Luton and Greenford near you or if you're busy on the training days we can arrange a one to one session to go through them. You can contact me through my profile.

@Razor900 I tried to PM you (start a conversation) but system wouldn't let me! Is that your preference setting or is something broke?

Installations are almost always profit making. Diagnosing and repairing faults is not so profitable.

There speaks a man who has run a Gas Safe or OFTEC registered company.

Or is he just a know-all with an opinion on everything?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back