Repair underground ceramic drainage pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could advise/help me with my problem.

I'm currently work on my back garden, digging out around my drains. I noticed that the pipe is damaged. I've attached a picture to give you a better idea.

This pipe only carries water from the bathroom ie bath/shower and the kitchen sink.

Is there anyway I can repair it
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Just dig all around it and clear the area and lay a new plastic pipe using timesaver couplings

Is this something I can do myself easily or would it be best to get someone to do it? I was looking to call out a drain company to fix it?

Looks like its the top of the gully trap that has broken. I'd be inclined to replace the gulley. Get a bottle gulley from Screwfix or similar, (about £20), short piece of 110mm plastic pipe and a coupling from 110mm plastic to 4" salt glazed. (Wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/PVCu-Soil-To-Clay-Drain-Connector/invt/432046 )

Cut back the clay pipe carefully using an angle grinder, fit new pipe/gulley, bit of concrete around gulley to hold it in place, jobs a good un. If you feel capable go for it, if not any decent builder will be able to sort it for you easily.

Sponsored Links
Be aware that because digging is not the province of 95% of plumbers it will not be a welcomed job.

In fact it would appeal better to builders!

Its not obvious to me what has happened. S/G pipe is VERY strong and it looks as if it might have been attacked by a kango impact hammer!

If it was on my own property then I would do a bodge repair and clear what I could of the dirt inside and then cover with cut off bits of plastic pipe and then cover with cement/sand mix at about 4:1.

But the correct repair is of course to replace the gulley with similar. The only reason I would hesitate to do that is that the sockets almost always break if you try to remove the pipe connected into them.

Tony

Dig it out and replace, if not fixed probably it will only leak again. Normally when the weather is terrible.

This would normally be a builders job, but to cut costs you could dig it out yourself (if you feel confident) and let them quote from there.

Or dig it out and replace with a new gully from Screwfix, you can view on-line. With a new Ferco rubber coupling and a small length of soil pipe.

Andy

Hi,

Thanks for all your posts. To be honest I wouldn't be confident enough to carry this work out myself and with my luck I would probably cause more damage.

If I was to get this done by a professional, how much do you think it would cost? I live in Birmingham.

Thanks again

If you dug it all out then it would be 30 min to view and assess and quote, and then about 30 min to buy the bits and then say two hours to do the job so a total of three hours so should be about £150 but will probably be £200-£250.

Tony

Thanks, sounds ok.

Does anyone recommend a reputable builder or plumber to do the work in the Birmingham area?

Its a mine field trying to find someone

Many thanks

If it was on my own property then I would do a bodge repair and clear what I could of the dirt inside and then cover with cut off bits of plastic pipe and then cover with cement/sand mix at about 4:1.

I've just been speaking to my father in law about my problem and he has suggested this. Get a pipe similar dimensions and secure it with Denso tape. I've been reading up on this tape and it does seem pretty good. Just wanted to see what your thoughts are?

Thanks

Yes an excellent idea ,contaminate the ground as it will leak sooner or later,why bodge it when its a relatively easy repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back