Repairing a bath panel crack - advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a plastic bath panel which has developed a small hairline crack at the bottom. It's about 2 inches long and while it's not ruined the panel, it's the kind of thing that is quite annoying to look at.

I'm not sure what the panel is made of but it's a shiny, glossy white colour. As I said, the crack is hairline and you can feel it when you run your finger over it, but it's not at all deep. Would a couple of coats of touch up paint be enough or do I need to fill the barely 1mm of crack that's developed?

And what product would best replicate the shiny white look?

Any help or advice would be appreciated! I had a look at these two products on Amazon but am not sure if they're suitable -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plast-Plast...OSI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348919471&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelcoat-Fil...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1348919491&sr=1-1-catcorr

Sponsored Links
The bath panel is probably made of ABS plastic, what you need is some solvent you can run into the crack, effectievely welding the plastic together, what springs to mind is, MEK Methyl Ethyl Ketone, this should repair the crack, it's very fluid and will be pulled into the crack by capillary action.
Your first choice, may well fit the purpose.

Wotan

You can get a repair paste which will polish out mark once repaired [repair best done to rear of crack] my son in law used some to polish out deep knife damage to a bath, worked well, but needs lots of cursing and swearing to achive good result. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back