Repairing a kitchen wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of redoing my kitchen, however upon removing cupboards I found the old render was crumbling away from the wall. I have removed the loose render and found the following.

So to repair this, am I correct in thinking apply pva, then plaster undercoat?
Should I use normal PVA or one with waterproof?

Also, the missing brick, where the pipe comes through is this normal? Should I plaster around the missing brick or over it? If over it should I just place a piece or wood over it? Or something else? It is behind a cupboard so doesn't need to look perfect.

Thanks
Matt

Sponsored Links
1. fill the hole with a couple of half bricks set in sand and cement. Allow them to set - dont use any wood.

2. Cut back your wall plaster by about 50mm from touching the solid floor.

3. Having first removed any loose plaster, square off to ruled lines the patch you have opened.

4. Do not use any kind of PVA, simply take the suction out of the wall with a little water and scratch on a tight coat of sand and cement or sand and lime. Then float out a coat of S&C, and finally, after the float dries(24 hrs), skim over.

5. Is there a history of damp or remedial work in the kitchen wall(s) or floor?

I'd go with what Ree says, sand and cement scratch, then bring out with a coat of render. DON'T use gypsum undercoat plasters on old suspect brickwork/stonework. Any damp/salts will just come right through the gypsum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back