Repairing damaged plaster coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have a 1930s house which has the original plaster coving. The previous owners painted it with some sort of stipple effect paint, most of which was falling off. I have managed to remove this to reveal the original plaster, however it's also revealed a lot of damage to the original plaster.

I'm struggling to replicate a smooth finish after filling cracks and dents and sanding. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get back to a smooth finish? Is it possible to completely re-skim in some way keeping the curved effect?

Thanks,
Stu

Sponsored Links
Hi
Please see some examples of the damaged coving. As you can see some of it looks like someone has attempted a bodged repair (grey).
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7175.JPG
    IMG_7175.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_7176.JPG
    IMG_7176.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7177.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 376
You would be better off buying a length of the same coving and rip the old stuff down and fix the new stuff up...

Sponsored Links
The coving seems to be solid plaster rather than the standard coving you can buy...so not too keen on hacking it off.

It looks like someone has tried to use bonding plaster or some sh1t, instead of plaster of Paris, and they made no attempt to smooth the profile while wet. It's no use slapping plaster on and then hoping to sand the craggy mess off later.
Removing the coving shouldn't be a problem, and you can buy new plaster coving very easily. It's not hard to install if there's two of you, particularly a small profile like that one. In fact it's such a plain, generic profile that you could alternatively replace with poly/gyproc and no one would tell the difference. It's not like it's an ornate profile that is worth saving.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back